DimarzioForum.Com > Everything you wanted to know about ....

The PAF Pro

(1/5) > >>

CityofBlindingLights:
This is a pickup that defined the 80s. At the height of aftermarket pickup replacement, the PAF Pro was designed to be able to cut through heavy mixes and send a good tone/signal through large numbers of processors and effects. But the PAF Pro has become a pickup that also gives a great all-around rock tone. Steve Vai cemented this pickup's immortality with the first JEMs, running dual PAF Pros in the neck and bridge, and he was closely followed by the likes of Joe Satriani (his mentor- who else?), Paul Gilbert, and even Ritchie Sambora used these in the bridge of is signature strat. Fender used these as OEM on many humbucker-equipped guitars in the 80s and 90s, and with good reason.

I personally feel that the PAF Pro is a really organic, expressive pickup that allows you to do just about anything- cry, purr, wail, or laugh. Whatever you want your guitar to do, the PAF Pro is there for you.

Also worth noting is that the PAF Pro is a great overall pickup, and it's a great starting point to create a sound/rig on top of.

buddroyce:
I should point out that tonally, the PAF Pro is a relatively bright pickup and works great in both neck and bridge positions. It's a great neck pickup when paired up with a high output bridge pickup like a Tone Zone or Breed or as a bridge pickup when paired up with single coils.

It also sounds great coil cut and parallel. When wired in series (standard) there's a slight vocal like quality that's kinda like a wah when cocked up a little.

CityofBlindingLights:
Also worth mentioning is that 250k pots will really help darken it up a decent bit, and give it an almost mysterious quality (imho), while 500k pots will really open up the top end.

DocNrock:
I love this pickup in the neck slot for clean arpeggios .  It just sounds so open and full.

mi2tom:
It's still one of my favourite pickup of all time, I install this in my cheap Rg in the bridge with a inf 1 in the neck for nightclub playing every friday and saturday and it really is a versatile pickup, switch it into 4th or 2nd position and you can funk like mad :) Will be getting another paf pro to put it into the neck position of my rg350.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version