X2N

• 5 Replies

wolf

X2N
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:35:18 AM »
Wow, all this time has gone by and still no one has reviewed the X2N?
Well I own five of these (mounted in three guitars) and I think they are the most versatile pickup you can own.  As you probably know, the X2N has a reputation for high output (which it certainly has) and if you give it enough wiring options, you can cover a very wide variety of musical styles.  Wired in series, the X2N can deliver all the high output power you need for heavy metal or hard rock.  Switching to parallel wiring or choosing either one of the single coils gives a much brighter sound which you could use for surf music or even country.  Harmony Central has some good reviews of the X2N and with good reason.
So, am I the only fan of this hefty humbucker?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:07:31 PM by CityofBlindingLights »

azrael

Re: X2N
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
I had one once in an Alder guitar. I liked the sound, but it was a little too much output. I would like something like it, but less output.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
One of the most overlooked uses of the X2N is that it's a GREAT pickup for country. Its bright, biting top end really shines through, and I've heard some mean country players weild this thing.

Stiltzkin

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
and I've heard some mean country players weild this thing.

I've heard Buckethead play some mean country with it ;)

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Yes!  Didn't Buckethead use dual X2Ns for awhile there, back in his Jackson V days?
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »
I put one in the bridge position of my old Washburn MG70 back in '93. With a maple top, neck, and rosewoood fretboard, that thing sounded AWESOME! di it overpower the singles in the middle and neck? Abosolutely. BUT......position 2 with the middle single coil, and one coil of the X2N sounded heavenly clean. Even though it had a HUGE output, it tracked well for soloing, and wasn't dark like a lot of high output pickups can be. It was still pretty articulate. Great metal pickup.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else