The Tone Zone

• 50 Replies

runtimeError

Re: The Tone Zone
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
I installed it few days back.

I am looking for nice Heavy Brutal and precise attack sound something like Meshuggah and heavy songs of Opeth (deliverance, or Grand Conjuration) . 

any tips, what adjustment I should do ?

I have adjusted the pickup in such a way that it is just close enough to the string such that I can do palm muted stuff without touching the pickup

runtimeError

After 1 weeks of adjustment
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 04:30:16 PM »
Its been one week since I started adjusting the Tone Zone's height, and I ended up adjusting a lot of things in my life,  ;D
since I started my journey in search of good tone I ve adjusted action, changed strings, adjusted the bridge, and other pickups too.

this is probably the most retarded setup ever :
Action : (Bridge is making a upwards slope towards the Low E side)
Low E : Fret 0 = 2mm, Fret 12 = 5mm
High E : Fret 0 = 1mm, Fret 12 = 3mm

Pickup Height (When Strings are pressed down on last fret in this case 24 ):
Low E : 6mm
High E : 1mm

this is how it looks now:
1 .

Yeah I know That looks retarded. but yeah It sounds better TO ME in that position.

and this is the sound I am getting from it now : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHkLvGiDw4

I am loving this new tone searching adventure, its like i am getting a different tone with every  mm of height adjustment

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:39:32 PM by runtimeError »

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »
 :madness: :madness: :madness: Welcome to the  :madness: that is the Tone Zone. Now you see why we love it?  :madness: :madness: :madness:

runtimeError

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »
Yuss, Now I totally do.  :madness: 

FetherX

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
tutorial on getting the absolute WORSE tone I've ever listened to please!!

acetrouble

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »

tutorial on getting the absolute BETTER English spelling skills:
http://www.mantex.co.uk/2009/11/17/how-to-improve-your-spelling/

FetherX

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »

tutorial on getting the absolute BETTER English spelling skills:
http://www.mantex.co.uk/2009/11/17/how-to-improve-your-spelling/

I'm not a native English speaker.. Relax......

oilpit

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
A bunch of killer info on making the Tone Zone sound a little less out of control...

http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/11/taming-the-tone-zone/

Offline jazzywolf

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 05:03:03 AM »
Have you tryed the Norton? It is not that far from Tone Zone but with a tighter bass and much more presence.
It is a very crunchy and juicy pickup...

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »
I just recently put tone zone on my maple/mahogany neck thru RG. It sounds really thick and heavy, with very tight bass..! Sounds like unlikely combination, but I dare say it's almost as tight as a dimarzio evo. Definitely the perfect pickup for chugga chugga..!

Offline Marshall Law

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
For me the TONE ZONE  is right in between a duncan JB and distortion model. just like a norton is between a fred and tone zone. the tone zone has a huge bag fat tone with definition and harmonics.
I like the way it makes a super strat take on the attitude and tone of a les paul. high single notes  just F**Kin BURN with authority adn they sing like  a JB does. IF you want the biggest tone without getting all mush and mud the TZ is the answer.
To those that find the TZ too be too low mid and bass heavy try LONE PHANTOMS cap mod,thisis so much better than setting the TZ 6-7mm's away from the strings or swapping mags and it is safer.
here is his link to TZ mods,   http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/11/taming-the-tone-zone/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:47:03 PM by ed hunter »

Offline mertay

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »
Been playing one for almost 20 years, have a lot of modding experience too. Things I experienced which might help if needed;

-I set it up to sound like the middle position of a guitar. On distortion, very light picking should sound like a neck PU but when picked normal or hard it must turn into a bridge sound. If you nail this then only adjust very slightly for your guitar balance.

-To make it sound more aggressive (making it easier to make its "wah" like sound or scream) and a bit more scale run friendly, turn the magnet inside it upside down so the flat side of the magnet is facing the coils from inside. Reduces the low-end a lot.

-To make it super scale run friendly, increase the screw poles noticeable. The "wah" like effect will be gone though.

Update; today for the first time I played a duncan screamin demon, same pickup on 2 guitars (cheap ibanez gio and 20 year old epi LP). It sounded so close to a tonezone thats magnet is flipped as I described, which how I play mine for a while now. The pickup must be a bit away from the strings to achieve that sound even closer. Its really close sounding but the tonezone still has more "wah" like vibe compared to it, a must try if one is into modding PU's.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:08:48 PM by mertay »

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
For anyone interested in the Tone Zone in the neck position.

https://youtu.be/_gOL6uatg8I

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »
There are some other videos out there of the Tone Zone in the neck. Buckethead has used it in the neck on several albums.

The Tone Zone actually works better than the Air Zone in the neck in my opinion. The reason is because of the Tone Zone's bright edge. Some people refer to it as "sizzle" or negatively as "fizzy" but it keeps the notes well defined. The Air Zone doesn't have that sizzle quality, so in the neck under gain it gets muddy unless you run it parallel or split (which sounds killer, but in a different way).
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 04:38:30 AM »
Sure, the TZ can sound fabulous in the neck. I have a Paul Gilbert clinic from Vancouver 1998 where he plays his blue PGM90HAM which has the TZ in both neck and bridge and its just glorious. Some of the best tones Ive heard from him. Michael Romeo has been using a TZ in the neck for years, all the way back to Twilight In Olympus I believe. Sounds killer.