The Tone Zone

• 50 Replies

DrNewcenstein

Re: The Tone Zone
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »
I've never been a hige DiMarzio fan. I tried a SuperD and Super3 and a pair of Evos but just didn't like the sound. All that changed recently when I got my 2008 USA Charvel SoCals which come with a ToneZone and Evo neck, and I really do like them! They definitely sound a bit more raw than the Duncans I've been using for years, and I find that to be a good thing.

Am I dropping my Duncans for Dimzos? No.
But I'm definitely a fan of the ToneZone in the bridge.

And I must concur on the height of a ToneZone affecting its tone. On the SoCals, they're cranked almost all the way up - you can clearly see the baseplate just under the pickguard opening - and to me that's the best place for them. They're still a bit under the strings (non-recessed Floyd and all that) but right where I would have set them anyway in relation to the string when fretted at the last fret.

I backed one down a tad and was amazed to discover how much like a Duncan JB it sounded - Holy Wars Intro Tone achieved!

However, the JB is by far my least favorite pickup ever, so the TZ was immediately cranked back up to where it belongs :D

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Buckethead makes considerable use of the tz as a neck pickup in his white les paul if not more guitars.  Meaty, meaty :madness:
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 07:35:24 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Buckethead makes considerable use of the tz as a neck pickup in his white les paul if not more guitars.  Meaty, meaty :madness:

It's true.  Tone Zone in the neck, Air Norton in the bridge.  He used that combo between 2005 and 2008, during which time he put out some really great work with GREAT tone.  To hear this combo just check out the millions of Buckethead videos on Youtube from that time period.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

eggsbenny

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:06 AM »
I've had my ToneZone in my HSS Strat wired up on a strange switched wiring setup (wired it myself  :P), basically wired on a 3 way on off on DPDT switch (with a separate bridge capacitor). Now in Parallel the pickup still sounds quite a lot like what  it is, but the sound is a bit thinker (not like Tele thin but its noticeable), particularly in the high end. With the tone pot rolled down to 1 it has this interesting quaky twang sort of tone, kinda reminds me again of a Tele. In what was supposed to be the single coil position, it seems to be grounding half the signal off, leaving a weaker sound that when turned up with lots of gain and has healthy amounts of reverb added, sounds identical to the guitar in Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress by The Hollies. Particularly useful for doing clean parts on an overdriven amp with no foot switch. Love this pickup so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madness:

oilpit

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
I ran across this video the other day, and imo, it is an awesome example of how the Tone Zone sounds when the "zone" has been found (aka not muddy!)

Sounds awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzVSggrhTAw

soundgardener75

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 12:08:13 PM »
Had anyone tried swapping it's magnet for curiosity's sake?

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
I ran across this video the other day, and imo, it is an awesome example of how the Tone Zone sounds when the "zone" has been found (aka not muddy!)

Sounds awesome!

Thanks for posting that video.  I almost got rid of a tone zone  but after seeing (and hearing) that video, I'm keeping it now.  1 karma
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »
There are a number of decent Tone Zone clips on Youtube. Unfortunately, some of them have been deleted as well it seems...

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »

Sounds awesome!

Thanks for posting that video.  I almost got rid of a tone zone  but after seeing (and hearing) that video, I'm keeping it now.  1 karma

Update on my Tone Zone experience.

I installed  my black and creme TZ in my homemade Malmsteen strat (with an Air Norton S in the neck and Fast Track 1 middle).  At first I was getting a fairly good tone, but it was kind of "buzzy" to my ears.  I adjusted it up and down 1/4 turn each way and still heard the same "buzzy" tone that I really didn't care for.  I was about to pull it out and put in a spare Norton in it's place when I decided to keep working with it,   I lowered the pickup as low as I dared, then raised it a 1/4 turn at a time, letting it set over night so I can have fresh ears to make sure it was going in the right direction (tone wise).  About a week and half went by with me adjusting the Tone Zone 1/4 turn at a time and then I entered the "Zone".  It was one 1/4 turn that suddenly brought the TZ to life.  It was like a cloak was placed over the amp and was suddenly removed.  Everything sounded alive, the "buzzy" tone that I heard in the beginning was gone and was replaced with a very clean (?) type of overdriven/distortion.  All the notes of any chord were very pronounced and huge sounding.  Leads seem to be very FAT and Round in all the right places.  There are some harmonics, but they are nothing like the Norton or Fred, but they are there.  I look back at this and think that I almost pulled this out of my strat and was going to replace it with a Norton.  I can usually dial a Norton in a couple of hours, but the TZ took me a week and half to find the spot.  Once you are in the spot, you will have roughly 1/8 of a turn to play with but you have to find the spot with the TZ first. 

I have been in love with the Norton for quite some time now, and I'm starting to have some of those same feelings for the Tone Zone (I need more guitars!!)  It's a keeper!    :madness:
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Whitmore

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 02:48:31 AM »
The Tone Zone is literally a beast.

It takes AGES to tame it. Even you think you have got it, its still a monster!

CHAOS IN A PICKUP!

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
Definetly,I've got one in my ibanez.I'm thinking bout puttin a super distortion in the bridge o my alder strat.Any suggestions for neck & middle?For neck i love a smooth tone with TEXAS BITE,for middle i LOVE that CHEWY quack.Please help,but they gotta be DIMARZIO

Sephiroth

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »
I love mine in my rg,its just so fat, and when i start chuggin sounds thick and in your face! :madness:

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 09:42:58 PM »
Man I can't believe how much I love this pickup now.  I was a Norton fanantic until I put the TZ in one of my strats.  Lower the mids on your amp and it becomes very articulate.  I can't believe that I almost sold this on ebay before I saw oilpit's video (thanks again for positng that).  :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness:

Kodzen

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »
Man I can't believe how much I love this pickup now.  I was a Norton fanantic until I put the TZ in one of my strats.  Lower the mids on your amp and it becomes very articulate.  I can't believe that I almost sold this on ebay before I saw oilpit's video (thanks again for positng that).  :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness:
I also found that's the key with TZ, lower your amp's mids and it will become articulate

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 11:00:28 PM »