Author Topic: The Tone Zone  (Read 29968 times)

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
Re: The Tone Zone
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »
Sure, the TZ can sound fabulous in the neck. I have a Paul Gilbert clinic from Vancouver 1998 where he plays his blue PGM90HAM which has the TZ in both neck and bridge and its just glorious. Some of the best tones Ive heard from him. Michael Romeo has been using a TZ in the neck for years, all the way back to Twilight In Olympus I believe. Sounds killer.

Oh that's right. The PGM90HAM came with Tone Zones stock in the neck and bridge. I completely forgot about that one.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Online corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 05:09:09 am »
Sure, the TZ can sound fabulous in the neck. I have a Paul Gilbert clinic from Vancouver 1998 where he plays his blue PGM90HAM which has the TZ in both neck and bridge and its just glorious. Some of the best tones Ive heard from him. Michael Romeo has been using a TZ in the neck for years, all the way back to Twilight In Olympus I believe. Sounds killer.

I agree, both the ToneZone and the JB sounds killer in the neck position.

I didn't know Romeo was using TZs in neck, and imho Gilbert's best tone came from the era he used TZs and rack systems. Just my opinion of course.

Offline Wrath of nature

• Dimarzio Evo 2 & Evolutions neck
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2018, 11:29:30 am »
    Hey there

Sounds like this pickup would be real good in a bolt-on, Alder bodied, Maple/rosewood neck with a Floyd. I just about ordered a Crunch Lab over a Tone Zone and made the last decision with my gut instinct.

I want to hear what all the hype is with this pickup. In my neck is a PAF pro and the first Alnico 5 magnet pickup I have ever used. I can hear a difference from Alnico 5 to Ceramic.

From the fat sound, wah like qualities, and tone that I am actually blown away with what I am doing with it. I have a D-Activator in the bridge and it's insane, saturated metal for sure and YES get one people.

However, I want a bigger, deeper clarity fat crunch. Harmonics, I want fatter harmonics and clear ripping bends. I seem to be playing with root like chords, strat like tones & bends with the power of a humbucker instead of a single coils features. I roll off volume and tone often with any setting to hear different tones.

I can get my 6 years olds pink Jackson Minion (poplar, maple/rosewood) to sound amazing with stock Jackson pickups (I wonder what they are?). I put on 12-54's and in Drop C. It's real nice sounding.

So, I hope the Tone Zone is great. After a beefier wide sound with effects, I like my effects. 

I am a Half step E player to the core but I do down tune occasionally when feeling it and I have 2 songs I made up in Drop C with my girls Jackson.

My Mahogany axe is high end split coil option and I never down tune that. Strictly a Half Step E masterpiece monstrosity. Everyone who plays it always asks me what's in it. But that's Mahogany not Alder.

All this research for a Tone Zone is going towards my development for a Custom Jackson Soloist SL2H. So in the end, a Maple neck through, ebony fretboard, Alder wings and a Floyd.

My guitar now is a Jackson Dinky JS32R.

Thanks

Tone Zone & Paf pro it is, I hope this is what I am after.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:12:57 pm by Wrath of nature »