The Tone Zone

• 50 Replies

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
The Tone Zone
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
There's a reason this is the go to pickup for many, including a decent number of users here. The Tone Zone is... well, the Tone Zone. Known for its HUGE low end and this GIANT wall of sound, the Tone Zone is great for a large number of applications. Its a thick, meaty, crunchy pickup that can really open up the low end of a guitar.

That being said, the Tone Zone is a finicky pickup that really needs to be adjusted to find its sweet spot. I personally hated this pickup for the longest time, as it had no definition at first, but really had to adjust the height of the pickup for a good two weeks before I found the Zone of Tone. And when I found it, well, let's just say that those two weeks were worth waiting for to find that spot.

Let's finally settle this once and for all...

THE TONE ZONE IS NOT MUDDY!

And lastly, although the Tone Zone was designed as a bridge pickup, it also makes for an awesome neck pickup. This is best displayed in the following youtube clip. Yeah, the guy talks a lot, but hearing the Tone Zone in the neck is worth it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tydDRNzqKGU&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Please post accordingly ;D

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: The Tone Zone
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:59:35 PM »
Tonally the Tone Zone is probably the 'biggest' sounding pickup around. Chords sound HUGE when played and there's plenty of muscle in it. However, the tone zone is EXTREMELY sensitive to pickup height and will refuse to sound good if it's not in the right spot. Where the exact spot is varies from guitar to guitar be generally I find that the Tone Zone sounds a bit better when backed off from the strings a little.

It's generally a pickup you want to use in the bridge position but it will also work in the neck position when paired up with another high output pickup. Michael Romeo is probably one of the better known players who use it in the neck positions as well as Paul Gilbert (Mr. big/Racer X) and Akira Takasaki (Loudness). This is usually my goto pickup when I need a pickup for a guitar.

In terms of versatility, it can handle virtually anything where you want your tone to sound beefy/meaty, chunky and warm.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Whitmore

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »
Harmonics?

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
You definitely get some interesting harmnoics, but they're... very meaty.

I wouldn't say the Tone Zone is as harmnoically friendly as, say, the FRED, Norton, or Evolution bridge pickup.

JAMESDP100

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
What if you put a tone zone in both the neck and bridge?

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »
It's definitely doable, check out the youtube link for what the Tone Zone in the neck sounds like.

kareemb0

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Would the Tone Zone (in the bridge) handle thrash metal (aka, fast palmmuted chugga)? And I mean in a mahogany body, mahogany neck, maple top guitar.

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
Of course! The Tone Zone can really thrash if you want/need to.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:28:29 PM by CityofBlindingLights »

kareemb0

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »
Of course! The Tone Zone can really thrash if you want/need to.

I see. I have kind of a phobia when it comes to bassy/low middy pickups after I had Seymour Duncan Invaders (described as high output, huge sounding, bass balls pickup) in my mahogany guitars.

Whenever I palm muted, the sound reminded me of a wet diarrhea fart in a lose pair of underwear, if you know what I mean. With the Evolution I found a great tight pickup, but for versatility I'm looking at other pickups in my other guitars.

Thanks dude!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:28:41 PM by CityofBlindingLights »

soundgardener75

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »
This was just perfect for my Epi G-400 through my Peavey VTM 60!

I just felt bad for the stock neck pickup. I thought it sounded good, but after having the TZ on it, it sounded inferior.  :D

DocNrock

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »
The Tone Zone....Rocks! :madness:

JAMESDP100

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:34:10 AM »
The tone zone in the neck sounds like s*x on fire. I have just one question. If I go out and buy a tone zone form
what I've read and heard here will I want to take it back? That issue with having it at the right height
worries me. But I guess we'll see.   

DocNrock

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 03:16:34 AM »
I'll also say that pinch harmonics are effortless with the Tone Zone. 

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 08:08:23 PM »
The tone zone in the neck sounds like s*x on fire. I have just one question. If I go out and buy a tone zone form
what I've read and heard here will I want to take it back? That issue with having it at the right height
worries me. But I guess we'll see.   

Just do it man ;D When you find that height, you'll see what the hype is all about.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile