Author Topic: F-Space or no F-Space?  (Read 7178 times)

Offline damn_yankee

• View Profile
F-Space or no F-Space?
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:46:57 pm »
Does it really make a difference if I install a non F-Space pickup in a guitar with a trem??

Offline Ayrton

• View Profile
Re: F-Space or no F-Space?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:51:10 pm »
Sound wise, no not really. Some people care more about the poles lining up than others, but it will sound just fine.
-Chris

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:53:10 pm »
I don't think it actually makes a difference.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:52:04 am »
Tonally you shouldn't hear THAT much of a larger difference, but hey, it looks cool

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 07:01:32 pm »
A friend of mine tried a non f-spaced Norton in the bridge of an LTD M-350 (which should be f-spaced) and I was told that on the high e string, picking up on the string produces a normal sound, but when picking down on the high e, the string  sounds muffled like it's not getting picked up properly.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 09:33:23 pm »
A friend of mine tried a non f-spaced Norton in the bridge of an LTD M-350 (which should be f-spaced) and I was told that on the high e string, picking up on the string produces a normal sound, but when picking down on the high e, the string  sounds muffled like it's not getting picked up properly.

I've had a similar problem. While it doesn't happen too often, depending on the amount of gain I use on my rig I find that using a non f-spaced humbucker in a guitar that SHOULD have an f-spaced humbucker results in misaligned poles with either the low E or the high E being the most drastic. (really varies on the guitar). I installed a standard spaced Air Zone in an Ibanez USA Custom Exotic Wood that had pickup rings and the low E was fine but the high E was over to the side of the poles. Picking upwards (going towards the high E pole piece) was fine, but picking down (going away from the pole piece) resulted in a thinner tinnier sound. Initially I thought this was my rig but it turns out it's the non f-spaced pickup because if I bent the string up a bit to more or less re-align the string with the pole piece, the sound was normal again.

Mind you, it really does depend on how far off the poles pieces are from the outer strings. Because the pickup was mounted in pickup rings I was able to push the pickup down so that the poles were better aligned towards the high string and not so much the low E string. When I did this the same thing happened if I played my low E string with an upstroke but it was fine using a downstroke. I was perfectly fine with that setup because I downpick more than I uppick on my low E string.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

I've had a similar problem. While it doesn't happen too often, depending on the amount of gain I use on my rig I find that using a non f-spaced humbucker in a guitar that SHOULD have an f-spaced humbucker results in misaligned poles with either the low E or the high E being the most drastic. (really varies on the guitar). I installed a standard spaced Air Zone in an Ibanez USA Custom Exotic Wood that had pickup rings and the low E was fine but the high E was over to the side of the poles. Picking upwards (going towards the high E pole piece) was fine, but picking down (going away from the pole piece) resulted in a thinner tinnier sound. Initially I thought this was my rig but it turns out it's the non f-spaced pickup because if I bent the string up a bit to more or less re-align the string with the pole piece, the sound was normal again.

Mind you, it really does depend on how far off the poles pieces are from the outer strings. Because the pickup was mounted in pickup rings I was able to push the pickup down so that the poles were better aligned towards the high string and not so much the low E string. When I did this the same thing happened if I played my low E string with an upstroke but it was fine using a downstroke. I was perfectly fine with that setup because I downpick more than I uppick on my low E string.

Really?? I never paid that much attention. But when do you really need an F-Spaced pickup?? Because I've seen people put a non f-spaced pickup in a fixed bridge guitar and it still looked misaligned.

Offline ou812

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 11:17:03 pm »
Can you actually hear the difference???

Offline Ayrton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:39:30 am »
Just because the bridge is fixed does not mean the string spacing is not F spaced. All of my Ibanez with Gotoh fixed bridges use F spacing. Check the string spacing before assuming you need or do not need an F spaced pup.
-Chris

Offline -Daz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 05:58:36 pm »
when i bought my replacement pickup i got it normal spacing accidently and noticed after i installed it, it sounded normal to me, didn't sound bad to me, then i had to get the pickup replaced and asked for it f-spaced too, then installed the new one and it sounded the exact same to me. But looks better, the normal spacing looks kinda small next to the trem imo