Author Topic: Any of you guys notice this???  (Read 5822 times)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Any of you guys notice this???
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:44:37 am »
Whenever I pick up a great sounding guitar, including some of mine, tapping both the neck and body of the guitar seem to yield not only the same pitch, but the same resonance as well. Also, some seem to have the body and neck resonate in sync whenever I tap only the body or neck. These things I'm hearing doesn't seem to apply to less great sounding guitars...

Looks like I need my meds now...  :o

Offline kareemb0

• View Profile
Re: Any of you guys notice this???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:37:12 am »
Steve Vai was talking about that stuff too.

People talk alot of crap about Schecter guitars, but I have too, and both woods have the same pitch when I tap on the neck and body.
Quote from: DiMarzio.com
Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone ZoneŽ is the solution sell your Boss Metal Zone 2.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »
Steve Vai was talking about that stuff too.

People talk alot of crap about Schecter guitars, but I have too, and both woods have the same pitch when I tap on the neck and body.

Yeah, Vai did that in the Guitar World tour of his rig (right before he started the Sound Theories tour iirc)

Offline JAMESDP100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 04:22:26 pm »
If its a pitch you like buy it you can always return it. 
Hello I'm quite hung.

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »
If its a pitch you like buy it you can always return it. 

Or sell it on eBay.

But I usually don't tap my guitars in that sense. I'll play it, and if I like how it sounds, I'll buy it. Idk about you guys, but I don't exactly intentionally knock on my guitars unless I want it to feed back in a certain way.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:03:49 pm »
What you're hearing is likely the combined resonance of booth woods together. Cheaper guitars with immensely thick clear coats pretty much dampen most of the resonance that the wood would normally have. All woods tend to have a resonant frequency but in order to really tell if it's the same on both neck and body you'd have to take them apart. With all my years hanging around tone crazy luthiers, the general consensus was that you'd want to pair up a neck and body with resonant frequencies that complement each other but not the exact same as they would cancel each other out (ok, only one guy ever told me about the cancelling out part, but I totally believe him).

I should note that Buzz Feiten actually mentioned that when he shimmed the neck on his tele to allow the neck and body resonant independantly from each other, his tone improved as he regained a lot of lower frequencies that would normally have been cancelled out.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »
What you're hearing is likely the combined resonance of booth woods together. Cheaper guitars with immensely thick clear coats pretty much dampen most of the resonance that the wood would normally have. All woods tend to have a resonant frequency but in order to really tell if it's the same on both neck and body you'd have to take them apart. With all my years hanging around tone crazy luthiers, the general consensus was that you'd want to pair up a neck and body with resonant frequencies that complement each other but not the exact same as they would cancel each other out (ok, only one guy ever told me about the cancelling out part, but I totally believe him).

I should note that Buzz Feiten actually mentioned that when he shimmed the neck on his tele to allow the neck and body resonant independantly from each other, his tone improved as he regained a lot of lower frequencies that would normally have been cancelled out.

I'm not refuting this idea (trust me, you're talking to a physics major here...). I'm just saying, I don't usually tap my woods to see if the resonant frequencies match up (... that sounded a lot less dirty in my head).

Offline JAMESDP100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:28:32 pm »
LOL. And what kind of guitar were you tapping?
Hello I'm quite hung.

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 10:20:31 pm »
LOL. And what kind of guitar were you tapping?

Let's just say that guitar had a lot of luscious curves.  ;D

It was a Stratocaster.

Offline JAMESDP100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:48 pm »
That neck shim idea seems like a good idea.
Hello I'm quite hung.

Offline DocNrock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 03:31:32 pm »
I haven't taken to tapping them, but the acoustic properties predict the amplified properties.  If an electric guitar has a punchy, tonal acoustic quality, I've always been very satisfied with the amplified sound, ESPECIALLY if it is equipped with DiMarzios.   ;D