Author Topic: Line 6 spider valve  (Read 6718 times)

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
Line 6 spider valve
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:08:27 pm »
Anyone try one?? I heard it's supposed to be pretty awesome because it's made/designed by Bogner or something.  Any one here wanna shine some light on this one?

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
Re: Line 6 spider valve
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:50:57 am »
Heard some guy try it out at a guitar shop. At first when the sales guy showed him the amp I thought "great.. looks like this guys going to get suckered into buying another Line 6 Spider amp".. but when I heard it I was blown away by how it sounded!!

It is aparently designed by Bogner so it can't suck that badly.

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:15:57 pm »
I dunno.. it sounds kinda gimmicky still. It's more like a Tube amp for kids who can't afford a real tube amp. Sure it's designed by Reinhold Bogner but does that mean it's good?? The spider valve is still probably just a digital modelling amp with some tubes to warm it up or something. I dunno how it works but I'm not really convinced that it's truly a tube amp.

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:47:11 am »
Seems to be a pretty cool amp but I think the Bogner reference on the amp is more a marketing thing than anything.

Offline rgdxpn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:59:46 am »
I dunno.. it sounds kinda gimmicky still. It's more like a Tube amp for kids who can't afford a real tube amp. Sure it's designed by Reinhold Bogner but does that mean it's good?? The spider valve is still probably just a digital modelling amp with some tubes to warm it up or something. I dunno how it works but I'm not really convinced that it's truly a tube amp.

It is actually a tube amp....it's a hybrid.   It's a bogner tube poweramp section and the spider is the preamp....basically.  The price is good for the poweramp and cab/speaker alone.   I would love one of these for a backup or something..

Offline marty_becker

• Jason Becker = God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:12:14 pm »
It is actually a tube amp....it's a hybrid.   It's a bogner tube poweramp section and the spider is the preamp....basically.  The price is good for the poweramp and cab/speaker alone.   I would love one of these for a backup or something..

So that's what it is.. So I'm guessing the pre amp section is all digital?
DiMarzio's for life!

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 02:05:21 pm »
It is actually a tube amp....it's a hybrid.   It's a bogner tube poweramp section and the spider is the preamp....basically.  The price is good for the poweramp and cab/speaker alone.   I would love one of these for a backup or something..

So that's what it is.. So I'm guessing the pre amp section is all digital?

Yes, it's your line 6 digital amp models going thru a tube power amp.  I ran a Pod Pro (rack mount version) into a Carvin tube power amp and had good results.  I just sold my pod pro and picked up a Boss GT-8, which has more effects, better amp models and more distortions to choose from than my Pod had.  Had my second gig with it last night and it was monsterous.  Tube power amps will warm up the sterle didgital signal, it doesn't have to be a bogner, unless that really means something to you.
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:13 pm »
That's to know that the Boss GT-8 actually has better amp modelling than the Line 6 stuff. I completely agree with you with the tube power amp warming up your tone. But doesn't the Line 6 Spider Valve also have a tube preamp??

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:37:20 am »
I think most "power amps" will have a couple of pre amp tubes in them which may qualfy them as having pre amps (my carvin tube 100 power amp has 2 -12AX7's pre amp tubes along with 4- 6l6 power tubes ).  Someone with more amp knowledge than I will probally chime in.
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline bluesman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 01:19:52 pm »
The Preamp tubes you see in most power amps are probably phase inverters that split the input signal to two halves which get amplified by the power amps. That and probably another preamp tube to provide some sort of gain control to boost the signal if needed. I've been using a POD xt for a long time now with a small peavey tube power amp and it smokes IMO.

The Bogner design is probably more marketing than anything. Line6 probably just called up Reinhard Bogner and told him they'd pay him royalties if they could say he designed the amp.

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 01:42:35 pm »
The Preamp tubes you see in most power amps are probably phase inverters that split the input signal to two halves which get amplified by the power amps. That and probably another preamp tube to provide some sort of gain control to boost the signal if needed. I've been using a POD xt for a long time now with a small peavey tube power amp and it smokes IMO.

The Bogner design is probably more marketing than anything. Line6 probably just called up Reinhard Bogner and told him they'd pay him royalties if they could say he designed the amp.

+++1, I really do believe it's more marketing than anything else.  You'll get similiar results using a power amp with your amp modeler and probably save some money in the process not to mention that you get more than just 7 amp models to pick from.  Nothing wrong with line6, they are in business to make money anyway, shape or form, it's the American Dream after all.

Offline mr_bluedream

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:12 pm »
This may sound strange, but has anyone ever tried using a software preamp like Amplitube or something and then running the output signal to a power amp and then a cab? Been thinking of bringing my laptop to use as a preamp and then maybe a powered speaker or something for some small gigs.