Author Topic: Pickup orientation? Does it matter?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline bhuether

• View Profile
Pickup orientation? Does it matter?
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:14:27 pm »
Basically I have two questions.

1) When it comes to wiring a humbucker in series, though Dimarzio says red is hot, and black and white are common, does it really matter if instead you take white as hot and red and green as common? I can't imagine that making a difference.

2) Also, does the orintation of the pickup matter? I mean regardless of where the north and south poles of the pickup are oriented (facing bridge versus neck) all that matters in terms of hum cancelling is the electrical conenctions, riight (i.e. simply combine opposite poles of two humbuckers to get a hum cancelling config - some people call this inner or outer coils but the word inner or outer refers to the orientation. I mean if you had pickups oriented a certain way, the inner coils would both be north (or south) in which case you would get hum!

Anyway, just trying to get this straight.

And then I was reading something about dual resonance pickups and the orientation truly mattering... In that case, does using white verssu red as the hot lead also have a difference?

thanks,

brian

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
Re: Pickup orientation? Does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:40:39 pm »
Wouldn't you be running your pickups out of phase if you had one pickup running with the red and another pickup running with the white wire?

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:10:35 pm »
Regarding your first question, in all honesty idk ???.

Regarding your second question, I've answered this many times, but to save myself from typing it up again, this is directly from DiMarzio's website:

"Does it matter which direction I install my pickup?

Most humbuckers are symmetrical and their sound does not change at all when installed backwards, but some have a slightly different sound if you install them in the opposite direction from normal. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, but a matter of taste for such a subtle difference, if you can hear the difference at all. Those models include the Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Evolution® neck, bridge and 7-string, FRED®, Humbucker from Hell™, DLX Plus™ neck and bridge models, Virtual P-90™, Blaze™ neck and bridge models and Tone Zone 7™.
The Steve’s Special™, the Bluesbucker® and the MegaDrive™ have distinctly different sounds if you turn them around, and there is no 'right' installation direction. The Bluesbucker® is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the bridge, while the MegaDrive™ is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the neck. The Steve’s Special™ is brighter-sounding if the coil on the pickup’s cable exit side is toward the bridge."

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:12:16 pm »
1: It doesn't really matter, just make sure that your other pickups are wired up the same way. If you mix them up, they'll work fine when you use the pickup by itself but when you activate a 2nd pickup wired in a different direction you will probably end up getting a sound that's slightly out of phase.

2. Direction wise it does and it doesn't. Just a little FYI, if you want to wire up a guitar similar to the Ibanez JPM with two humbuckers with the two inner coils in the middle, the neck pickup is supposed to be flipped around. Because the JPM model actually had an Air Norton it is, the neck tone was also a tad brighter because it was also a dual resonance pickup.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter