Author Topic: Any experience with Peavey Valveking?  (Read 4455 times)

Offline wydshockey

• View Profile
Any experience with Peavey Valveking?
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:06 pm »
I'm looking into getting a new amp soon, but funds are low and I've been eying amp heads around $500-600.  The most likely candidate is a Peavey Valveking 100.  Anybody have any experience with amp by chance?  It seems every Peavey dealer near me doesn't have it in stock so I haven't been able to try it myself.  My Marshall Valvestate just doesn't cut it, mainly because it isn't tube.  (Even though the Peavey is called a Valveking, I know it's tube powered).  If someone has any info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline ibanezguy

• Ibanez freak
    • View Profile
Re: Any experience with Peavey Valveking?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:33 pm »
It's an ok amp for the money. Not that great if you want high soaring crushing metal tones, but for everything else it's prety darn good.
Ibanez RG6CSD2
Ibanez RG7CSD1
Ibanez RG3120TW

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:30:09 pm »
I haven't had much experience with the Valveking, but Peavey has always made pretty decent amps. As for the whole Valve thing, in the UK, Valves mean tubes.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Kodzen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:13 am »
I played that thing once, not bad but nothing impressive either, I barely remember anything about it.
Have to say that there's not much options for a new tube amp around $500-600 or lower.
I can think of some low wattage amps, like Krank Rev Jr. or Egnater Rebel, both are 20 watts, Blackheart amp is 5 watts.
For higher wattage, there's the PV valveking and Bugera amps. You can check them out.
But my ultimate suggestion is to save up more money, I don't think you will be a lot happier with the valveking or any $600 or less tube amp than your current valvestate.
It's worth the wait when you finally get your dream tube amp, it took me 2 years to get mine and I almost cried at the store (not sure if it's because of the amp and the twin cabs or because they made me pay a shitload of money for it LOL)

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:36:08 pm »
If you're ok with used gear, you can probably get a used 5150 head for around the same price. It's a MUCH better amp than the shitty valveking amp. It's not bad, but it's not spectacular, I'd listen to Kodzen and save for a bigger/better amp or go used.

Offline wydshockey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:31:02 am »
I've played on a friend's 5150 when I was in high school, and I agree, it is a kickass amp.  Only problem there is finding a used one that isn't at Guitar Center, as they have a penchant for raping people's wallets and claiming it's "an incredible deal."  Kodzen is right that saving up is the best idea, but everytime I try to save money, some silly problem arises and takes all the money I had saved, lol.  All in all, I think you guys have swayed me from getting the Valveking.  Better to not get it than get it and be unhappy, right?

Offline Kodzen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:13:14 am »
I have no intention for bad mouthing a product, persuade you not to buy or anything. It's just that many musical instruments advertised better than they really were.
And I definitely agree with you, every guitarist deserves to be happy, it's our birth right :)
Save up your money dude, you'll figure it out somehow...
Good luck

Offline soundgardener75

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:55 pm »
I like it's clean channel. The od imo needs to have an eq at the effects loop, or else it sounds bland to my ears.

Not too bad for the price, but I will agree to finding used gear that'll end up the same as what you're paying it for brand new. I found a Peavey Windsor for $150, but I traded it immediately for a VTM-60 (was going for $275) because I wanted a piece of Kim Thayil's tone LOL!

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:14:55 pm »
For what the Peavey Windsor is I effing adore it as a clean channel... Hot pups will still drive it pretty easily though
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!