Air Norton T vs. Chopper T

• 11 Replies

lttoler

Air Norton T vs. Chopper T
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
I am considering these two pickups for the bridge of my Tele.  I want a thicker tone but still need a great clean tone.  I play in a cover band and do a variety of styles.  Can someone describe how these two pickups sound clean and dirty?  Thanks a lot!

SavingAtlantis

Re: Air Norton T vs. Chopper T
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »
I don't see the Air Norton T anywhere on the Dimarzio site. If they do make it, the AN-T would probably sound a lot warmer than the Chopper but the Chopper would probably have better crunch. They're both probably just as versatile but one would give you more of a les paul like tone.

Offline bluesman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »
I would go with the Chopper T my friend. What's the point in buying a Tele only to get it to sound like a Les Paul?

Kodzen

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:50:20 AM »
Kotzen use chopper in the bridge of his tele, that would give you an idea.
I haven't tried air norton T, so I don't know how it's compared to the humb size.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »
I would go with the Chopper T my friend. What's the point in buying a Tele only to get it to sound like a Les Paul?

+1

laughing kookaburra

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
The Chopper T is killer.  Wired in series, it has a great crunch, w/a great high end kick.  I had a push/pull on my tone pot, w/a paralle option.  In parallel, it had a nice spank, sort of a generic stock Tele tone.  Very nice!

A person at DMZ advised against splitting it, saying it might be too glassy, and recommended the paralle option.  It was good advice.

lttoler

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »
So it should cover clean and lightly overdriven tones well?  I'm also considering the Area Hot T.  Which would you go with for what I'm doing?

purple_voodoo

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:19 AM »
Depends on if you want your tone brighter or darker. I like my tone darker sounding in general so I would go with the AIr Norton T. The Chopper T is just too bright for my personal preferences.

The Area Hot T is definitely an interesting pickup. In fact, I'd say it's probably the most versatile pickup of the ones you're considering.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
Depends on if you want your tone brighter or darker. I like my tone darker sounding in general so I would go with the AIr Norton T. The Chopper T is just too bright for my personal preferences.

The Area Hot T is definitely an interesting pickup. In fact, I'd say it's probably the most versatile pickup of the ones you're considering.

+1, Area Hot T almost makes me want to buy another Tele just to drop one of these into the bridge.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
Any reason to buy another guitar is always a good reason ;)
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

FuzzyJazzChuck

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
I just switched from using Chopper T to Air Norton T. It is paired with Virtual Vintage humbucker in Neck and they work well together. It is slightly less bright and a bit warmer than the Chopper T was but I am happy with the change. I use 5 position switch and use neck series or parallel and then neck and bridge parallel, then inner coils parallel and lastly bridge series. I really like the inner coils parallel sound and even more so with the AirN T. I also have PP for both pickups in series that works well too.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:37:43 AM »
I did not see the Air Norton T as a regular model on the website. I remember having seen one on ebay (about two years ago) but I passed as I was (and still am) very satisfied with the Chopper T. But good to know that there is something between the Chopper T and the hotter T models, even though it may only be available as a custom order.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b