Author Topic: Video review of 36th anniversary PAF  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Avenger316

• View Profile
Video review of 36th anniversary PAF
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:23:33 pm »
I found this on Youtube - a recent review, done by Guitar World, of the 36th Anniversary PAF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d1QSS3qoCw

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: Video review of 36th anniversary PAF
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:12:45 pm »
That video would actually convince me not to buy the 36th PAFs, but instead to go out and buy an original 59 Les Paul, or save up and buy original '59 pickups.

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »
Thanks for the vid man.

Larry Dimarzio's guitar sounds awesome! But since I can't afford one I wouldn't mind getting the Paf 36th set for my next Les Paul.

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:14 pm »
That video would actually convince me not to buy the 36th PAFs, but instead to go out and buy an original 59 Les Paul, or save up and buy original '59 pickups.

You're right man. The original 59 sounds a whole lot better than that historic reissue. What could cause the guitar to be so much louder unplugged??

Offline kareemb0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:47 am »
Saw it. They sound really good. That old '59 sounds sick though. So loud acoustically!
Quote from: DiMarzio.com
Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone ZoneŽ is the solution sell your Boss Metal Zone 2.

Offline bluesman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:51:15 pm »
WOW!! I never knew Larry Dimarzio's original 59 Les Paul was that spectacular! I'm pretty sure that the PAF 36ths are very similar to the actual pickups on that 59 Les Paul and that the difference in sound we get is from the guitar. It would have been better if they tested the PAF 36th against the originals pickups using the same guitar.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
WOW!! I never knew Larry Dimarzio's original 59 Les Paul was that spectacular! I'm pretty sure that the PAF 36ths are very similar to the actual pickups on that 59 Les Paul and that the difference in sound we get is from the guitar. It would have been better if they tested the PAF 36th against the originals pickups using the same guitar.

HA. Ha. If I owned an original 59 Les Paul, I wouldn't let anyone with a screw driver come near it, let alone a soldering gun.

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 04:04:44 pm »
They need a 3rd comparison in there. Comparing the PAf 36th against the original just isn't very fair. Even if the pickup is the same we couldn't tell because the guitars sound so different even though they're supposed to be similar.

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:46:21 am »
The original Les Paul with the original PAF's make the reissue with the PAF 36ths sound like total crap.