Author Topic: Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!  (Read 22971 times)

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
Re: Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 06:50:05 pm »
Hi Larry!! It's soo awesome to have you here!! Just noticed that you have five springs installed in your '60 Strat. Are you using some heavy gauge strings or is there some tone improvement using the extra springs?

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 01:01:32 pm »
Ya know.. I just noticed the 5 springs on that strat too.

Offline winger

• View Profile
    • Ice4bikes
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 05:41:59 pm »
Awesome guitar. I've been dreaming of only seeing one up close in real life someday (don't even mention getting to play one). 8)
This dream will never come out though.  :'(Too few Les Paul's from that era around. Their value's too high formost owners to take them out of their vaults. :(

BTW. Welcome to the forums mr.D! Hope to see you around here often. ;)
John

Offline custom24

• PRS addict for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 08:56:02 pm »
Yes, the pickups are original. Interesting story: as I've been told — around 1959 — Gibson ran out of black plastic moulding material and for a short period of time used cream colored plastic for the pickup bobbins; (the same color as the mounting rings). Since the pickups came with metal covers, they figured no one would ever know what was underneath.

When I designed the Super Distortion®, I decided to make it double cream to pay homage to those old Gibson pickups, but I changed the pole pieces and used circular bobbin holes instead of square ones so that no one could use DiMarzio parts to counterfeit orginal parts. Gibson made about a thousand double cream colored pickups, and I've probably made a half million.

That's definitely an interesting story. Thank you so much for sharing videos of your guitars. I always wanted to know what a real 59 Les Paul looked like. I never knew the tops were soo nice.

Offline iba777

• Yum... 7 strings!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 12:01:57 pm »
Ya know.. I just noticed the 5 springs on that strat too.

My guitar tech once told me that using extra springs will improve the tone by allowing more transfer of vibrations to the guitar body. No idea how true that is. I couldn't really use more than 3 springs on my guitars because they all have floyds on it. Maybe Mr. Dimarzio can answer that question.
RG1527
RG7321
Epiphone 7 string Les Paul
Don't own any sixes!!

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 02:56:23 pm »
That's some great info!! I take it someone has previously tried to counterfeit the original parts using DiMarzio parts before?

It was a precaution. When I invented replacement pickups in the early 70s,  there was already an underground interest in cream colored pickups. I wanted to prevent anyone from using my products fraudulently.

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 03:03:33 pm »
Hi Larry!! It's soo awesome to have you here!! Just noticed that you have five springs installed in your '60 Strat. Are you using some heavy gauge strings or is there some tone improvement using the extra springs?

Hey asian_sensation,
I usually use either 10s or 9s on Strats, and rarely use the tremolo. I've found that using all 5 springs and keeping it tight keeps the guitar in tune better. As for sound — I like the tone of Stratocasters with tremoloes better than those without.

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 03:14:21 pm »
My guitar tech once told me that using extra springs will improve the tone by allowing more transfer of vibrations to the guitar body. No idea how true that is. I couldn't really use more than 3 springs on my guitars because they all have floyds on it. Maybe Mr. Dimarzio can answer that question.

Hi Iba777,
Anything that you do to the string/bridge relationship will alter the sound — either for good or bad. My suggestion is to experiment (which is what I do all the time) and keep a record of what you like and don't like. In other words, there's no hard set rule. For example if they could be put on the same guitar, the original Floyd bridges would sound different from Gotoh bridges and would also sound different from the original Strat bridges.

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »
Hi Larry, just wondering which Dimarzio pickup in your opinion would create the sound closest to the pickups in your 59 les paul and 59 strat?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 03:23:23 pm »

ESP's Custom Lab(I believe it's their R&D dept.) actually looked into the whole thing about using additional springs for a thicker(?) tone and developed some special alloy springs that allow you to use 5 springs on a floyd but have the same feel as 2 or 3 springs. They're called "Tremolo Tone Springs" if you feel like googling it up.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 10:08:40 am »
Hi Larry, just wondering which Dimarzio pickup in your opinion would create the sound closest to the pickups in your 59 les paul and 59 strat?

+1 I'd like to know too..

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 10:23:21 am »
Thanks for the replies Larry! Do the newer Fender and Gibson reissues come close to the originals?? A lot of people keep saying that the reissue models are no where near as good as the originals but I'm thinking that Fender and Gibson would have the capability to recreate it fully if they wanted to.

Offline shredmonkey

• Monkey Spanking my fretboard daily
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 10:01:50 am »
Hi Mr. DImarzio,

Welcome to the forum. I'm wondering which modern equivalents do the original PAF's in your 59 Les Paul sound like? Any info would be great as I plan on buying a Les Paul but really would like to get it as vintage sounding as possible.

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 02:17:29 pm »

Hi krak_down69,
Since there are a number of factors that will affect the sound of the pickup — the guitar itself, your amp, etc. — I recommend going to www.dimarzio.com and using the Pickup Picker.
I'm currently designing a new vintage line that will replicate the pickups in my vintage collection.  It will be available in 2008.

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 02:29:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies Larry! Do the newer Fender and Gibson reissues come close to the originals?? A lot of people keep saying that the reissue models are no where near as good as the originals but I'm thinking that Fender and Gibson would have the capability to recreate it fully if they wanted to.

Hey a_s,
They come closer than regular production guitars, but I've never played a reissue that I liked better than a vintage guitar.
That's a tricky question because not all vintage guitars are created equal. As I mentioned in the 59 Les Paul video, I compared my LP to several others from the same period. It was hands-down the best out of about 9 other Les Pauls.