Author Topic: Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!  (Read 23397 times)

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:11:21 pm »
They just posted this on youtube.. Looks like Larry's been busy making videos lately. His newest one is of a 59 Les Paul. Check it out

[youtube=425,350]N7IlR53ca9M[/youtube]

Offline custom24

• PRS addict for life
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:46 pm »
My god.. is that guitar ever sweeeeet.....

btw.. anyone else notice the grovers on that '59 Les Paul? I thought the 59 LPs were supposed to have the old skool keystone Kluson tuners?

Offline ou812

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:33:40 am »
That's a super sweet guitar!! man am I ever jealous of Larry Dimarzio!!

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 12:54:59 pm »

btw.. anyone else notice the grovers on that '59 Les Paul? I thought the 59 LPs were supposed to have the old skool keystone Kluson tuners?
'''
Hi, this is Larry DiMarizo. Glad you like the '59 Les Paul. You are absolutely right about the tuners. When I purchased the guitar, it already had the Grovers on it. However, I liked them so much better than the original Kluson pegs that I kept them.

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:44:08 pm »
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!
I can't believe Larry DiMarzio is actually here on the forum!!

Offline koki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:51:24 pm »
Hello Mr. DiMarzio!! It is a great honor to have you here with us. I really love your guitar collection. I also find this video on youtube. It is not yet on DiMarzio myspace page but I really like this guitar:

[youtube=425,350]3j1vxO971wU[/youtube]

Offline 27fretshred

• I have more frets than you!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 09:03:11 pm »
Hi, this is Larry DiMarizo. Glad you like the '59 Les Paul. You are absolutely right about the tuners. When I purchased the guitar, it already had the Grovers on it. However, I liked them so much better than the original Kluson pegs that I kept them.

It's soo great to see you here sir. I really love that Les Paul of yours. Your video really showed me how nice the original '59 Les Pauls are. Would it be possible to get a close up pic of the area underneath the pickguard? The guitar looks great now, but I can't believe how great the original unfaded color is underneath the pickguard!

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 09:28:35 pm »
This is a joke right?? April fools is still some months away ya know. ;)

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 09:42:37 pm »

Hi Mr. DiMarzio. Welcome to the forum. It's great to see you here. Just wondering if you're worried about the vintage value of your guitar and if you would ever want to restore it back to it's original state with the original tuners?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 09:55:17 pm »
This is a joke right?? April fools is still some months away ya know. ;)

I can assure you that this isn't a joke. That really is Larry DiMarzio.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline custom24

• PRS addict for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 10:29:24 pm »

'''

Wow! I didn't think I'd get an answer from the man in the video!! I kinda guessed that the tuners were changed when you bought them. I didn't think you'd be the type of person to intentionally swap out the parts. Are those pickups original? Or are they DiMarzios ;) Just curious because I don't understnad why Gibson would put a double cream and a zebra pickup on a guitar.

Offline Mail2JackButler

• Dimarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 08:10:17 am »
VERY cool indeed! ;D
"Intelli-Shred" & "Arpeggio Madness" books  available from NGW!
www.guitarworkshop.com/books/guitarbooks/rock/intellishreddillar
DiMarzio Endorsed Artist: Kevin Dillard. Soundclips available at
www.dimarzio.com
www.myspace.com/intellishred
Morley Endorsee
http://www.morleypedals.com/fom.html

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 02:10:26 pm »
Hi Mr. DiMarzio. Welcome to the forum. It's great to see you here. Just wondering if you're worried about the vintage value of your guitar and if you would ever want to restore it back to it's original state with the original tuners?

At this point, restoring the tuners would do more harm than good. The Grovers necessitated making the holes larger. Additionally, they keep the guitar in tune better than the original Klusons. There's a slight change in sound because of the Grovers' extra mass that I feel is an improvement. (This would not be the case with Fender guitars where I find that the lighter original pegs sound better.)

As for the vintage value, that was never a consideration for me. I've tried to collect the best sounding & playing guitars over the most original condition.

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 02:39:33 pm »
Are those pickups original? Or are they DiMarzios ;) Just curious because I don't understnad why Gibson would put a double cream and a zebra pickup on a guitar.

Yes, the pickups are original. Interesting story: as I've been told — around 1959 — Gibson ran out of black plastic moulding material and for a short period of time used cream colored plastic for the pickup bobbins; (the same color as the mounting rings). Since the pickups came with metal covers, they figured no one would ever know what was underneath.

When I designed the Super Distortion®, I decided to make it double cream to pay homage to those old Gibson pickups, but I changed the pole pieces and used circular bobbin holes instead of square ones so that no one could use DiMarzio parts to counterfeit orginal parts. Gibson made about a thousand double cream colored pickups, and I've probably made a half million.

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 06:39:17 pm »
That's some great info!! I take it someone has previously tried to counterfeit the original parts using DiMarzio parts before?