Author Topic: Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!  (Read 22803 times)

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Dimarzio's 59 Les Paul!!
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 02:31:21 pm »
Hi Mr. DImarzio,

Welcome to the forum. I'm wondering which modern equivalents do the original PAF's in your 59 Les Paul sound like? Any info would be great as I plan on buying a Les Paul but really would like to get it as vintage sounding as possible.

Hey shredmonkey,
Thanks for your support. Please see my reply to krak_down69.

Offline custom24

• PRS addict for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 07:44:14 pm »
I'm currently designing a new vintage line that will replicate the pickups in my vintage collection.  It will be available in 2008.

Oooooohh.. Thanks for giving us that 'subtle' hint ;) I look forward to buying a set. Heck, I can't wait 'till it's out!! Just one question though, will it be hum cancelling or true to the originals and complete with the 60hz hum?

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 11:59:46 pm »
I'm currently designing a new vintage line that will replicate the pickups in my vintage collection.  It will be available in 2008.

Oooooohh.. Thanks for giving us that 'subtle' hint ;) I look forward to buying a set. Heck, I can't wait 'till it's out!! Just one question though, will it be hum cancelling or true to the originals and complete with the 60hz hum?

The answer is both ... he said cryptically.

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36:50 am »
The answer is both ... he said cryptically.

:-\ Hmm... do I sense maybe two versions??

Offline custom24

• PRS addict for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 08:40:18 pm »
Would those be the Dimarzio Collection pickups that I see advertised in Japan?

Offline larryd

• *** VIP ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 09:30:02 pm »
Musicianís Friend has posted 3 new videos of the photo shoot I did with Steve Vai for the cover of their December catalog. The Intro features about 20 minutes of the two of us chatting together after the photo session. The other videos give you shorter, behind the scenes looks at the making of the cover.
Use this link to check it out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/vai" (You can also use this link to subscribe to the Musicianís Friend catalog if youíre so inclined.)
Thanks again to Steve, my crew, and the folks at MF ó Ken Sager, Erik Beyer and Bill Newman ó for making this so much fun.
All the best,
Larry DiMarzio

Offline ou812

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 11:14:58 pm »
Sweet!! Thanks for the info mr. D!!

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 11:24:04 pm »
Great video!! Thannk you Mr. DiMarzio!!

Offline mr_bluedream

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 11:32:12 pm »
Wow.. I didn't realize Larry Dimarzio did a lot of the guitar world and musiciansfriend photo shoots!! May I ask what kind of camera are you using??

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 05:00:03 pm »
Wow.. I didn't realize Larry Dimarzio did a lot of the guitar world and musiciansfriend photo shoots!! May I ask what kind of camera are you using??

What ever he's using, it's probably really expensive.

Offline LHC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 09:00:11 pm »

Laryd has already been asked this, http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=133.0.
Ibanez S470 (Fred & PAF Pro)
Jackson Profesional (SD Trembucker Distortion)
Digitech GSP2101
Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty
Marshal Lead 1960

Offline howard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:22 am »

At this point, restoring the tuners would do more harm than good. The Grovers necessitated making the holes larger. Additionally, they keep the guitar in tune better than the original Klusons. There's a slight change in sound because of the Grovers' extra mass that I feel is an improvement. (This would not be the case with Fender guitars where I find that the lighter original pegs sound better.)

As for the vintage value, that was never a consideration for me. I've tried to collect the best sounding & playing guitars over the most original condition.

Agree. I have a Les Paul-SG 1961, which I bought in the mid-70s. It already had Grovers so the holes had been slightly drilled. The original magnets also had been changed to Alembic ceramics, which was offered by that company in the early 70s to put on some more bite for vintage pickups. After market pickups was not invented back then. ;) A while ago I decided to put back everything to orginal, and since I had  the original magnets I put them back in. I also wanted the guitar to have a original look, and thought about buying some old Klusons, before I checked the holes and realized they had been drilled. A set of vintage Klusons would most likely be un-stable there. So I found some Grovers 135N; the same size and construction as Grover Rotomatics but looking like Klusons. I aged them slightly with some white wine vinegar from the kitchen, it worked quite OK with nickel. Great look, perfect stability and function. And that guitar sounds great with the original magnets!